Sep 10, 2011

Collapse from the Top Down

You never know when one of these things is going to reach and and grab you, but at any moment there are whole worlds of understanding just waiting to unfold in front of your eyes, or your minds eye I suppose. The theme of this post rotates around one thing, a theme all believers contemplate at least once in their walk (usually more than once) I would even suggest the Jesus himself pondered the idea. However before I launch let me give  you the ingredients.

1. I had a dream where I was being driven off of a cliff by some one who should not have been driving As I faced the bottom of the cliff a powerful calm came over me,
 
    "So this is it, this is how it ends."

Realizing the finality of the situation I waited to embrace Heaven.

* I understood that the standards for leadership had been compromised, and I was now being led off a cliff by some one who shouldn't have been leading.

2. While listening to NPR I heard a story of a Fireman who was caught in the collapse of the second World Trade Center. The reporter asked him what he thought about as he, on the second floor, heard the successive collisions of the hundred or so floors above him.

     "I was really calm" he said, "I figguhd, dis is it, dis is how it'ends."

As soon as he remarked on the calm he felt, my mind flashed back to the dream about my fateful car ride, and as if there were a voice of thought inside me, who's wisdom I cant claim, I heard

     "When there is moral failure in leadership, It leads to structural collapse"

This concept hit me square in the chest, and sat there for a long time. As a Worship Leader I know that there is a certain amount of responsibility placed on me in regards to my conduct both publicly and privately, but not just because of the "What would the Elders think?" scenario. I know that when I am in sin I am always going to lead poorly. I'm sure I have the fortitude to muster project completion, but how can I with a rebel spirit bring to bare the weight and glory of the cross, for the betterment of my team members and congregation, when I refuse to submit to its sweetness.

I pray this anecdote finds you in the right time and season, God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment